Saturday July 9 Boston – Burghley House – Boston


Burghley House lit by the last of the sun.

 We have had the most amazing day. A quiet start as I was pretty miserable with my cold but surprising what a few Maxiclear can do to turn off the taps in my nose. Kathy’s family came for lunch, great to meet them all. Daughter Lois and Ben have 3 children, the baby just 2 weeks old, but I was very good and kept my distance as didn’t want to pass this bug on. Son Chris also popped in. So nice to be part of a family…we always miss ours when we are away.
But the highlight of the day – Steve and Kathy had arranged for tickets to the “Battle Proms’ at Burghley House, about an hour’s drive away.  (http://www.battleproms.com/venues-dates/burghley-house-saturday-9-july-2016.aspx) What a treat.
The car was packed with chairs and table along with a selection of pork pies, tarts, cheeses, pickles and breads and cold bubbles and wine. We set up our “pitch” in amongst the happy crowds by 5pm and settled in for a great night. There were flags everywhere and everyone was in party mode. The entertainment started and just continued on until the grand finale at 10.30 A huge fireworks display that seemed to go on and on, all accompanied by the New England Concert Orchestra playing some old favourite classics.
I had to keep pinching myself to really believe that only 4 days ago I was in NZ and here I was partying up with the Poms which a view over the grand Burghley House, a memory I will never forget. One very special occasion.
Kathy and Steve and their grandies  







Comments

Anonymous said…
Fantastic. I am delighted that almost against your will, I think you are falling in love with England. As you know we did years ago, but also Scotland and Ireland and France and Germany and Austria and Italy and Switzerland and so on. So much to see and do. Go for it!!!
You have found some fantastic friends, which is something you are really good at and is the cornerstone of your travelling success. How I wish we were there.
Love your blogs and following with vicarious enthusiasm.
Deano
Meg Lipscombe said…
Yes Deano, we are complertely entranced by what we have seen in this small corner of England, the history just oozes out of everything. And having such wonderful people to show us around is the icing on the cake. Steve loves history and has an answer for all our questions.
Glad you are enjoying my daily ramble, not flowing quite as well as my head is pretty blocked up at the moment, but a few more days and I should be over the worst.
Anonymous said…
Totally awesome.....we are green with envy. Meg your descriptions are so precise we feel like we are there also. Will follow your travels with anticipation.For that cold get some lemon and honey down you.
Regards Carson and Colleen
Anonymous said…
The Proms evening looks marvelous - I'm very envious! Anne